Henry T. Ewald was the embodiment of his own philosophy, "no man can live within himself."
As co-founder, president and chairman of a great agency, the Campbell-Ewald Company, he pioneered many important developments in advertising and publicity. He was an outstanding advertising leader both alone and through his agency.
However, his greatest contribution to advertising was his overall interest in and service to the industry over a period of more than four decades.
He was a founder of the Adcraft Club of Detroit and of the National Outdoor Advertising Bureau, of which he served as chairman for 19 years. He was board chairman of the American Association of Advertising Agencies from 1932 to 1933 and an active officer for many years. He was a director of the Advertising Federation of America and of the Traffic Audit Bureau. He believed in and worked for the organizing of advertising people for better service to themselves and the public.
Additionally, he was constantly leading and laboring in public service for organizations such as Y.M.C.A., Y.W.C.A, the Salvation Army, British Relief, hospitals, Liberty Loan Drives, the Red Cross and many others .
In him, fine ability and great heart combined to inspire his associates and all who work in the industry he loved and advanced so greatly.